10.06.2013

Mixed Media Tag.

This is an 8 1/2 by 11 inch Mixed Media Tag. 

The background is paper from Recollections. I toned it down with gesso. Gesso is like the most important medium to have in Mixed Media. It's so versatile, I use it on every project! I then added a few pages of book text to the background to draw attention to the focal part of the tag.
 The bird and Cage is a Tim Holtz die, and I cut the pieces out of grungeboard. I love grungeboard, it's so versatile and adds a lot more depth and dimension than just paper! I cut them again out of paper and added it on top.  Then I inked around everything with frayed burlap distress ink then I went around just the edges with black soot.
 The 'Live in the Moment' is a Tim Holtz word band. I went over it with broken China distress paint the wiped off the excess, just to get paint in the words.  Behind the bird cage I have a pieces of burlap that I sprayed with white linen dylusions to tone it down. Then I have a few pieces of lace (one from Heidi Swap, the blue on is just a scrap) layered behind it. I made the blue flower out of some scrap lace. 
 The cream flowers are from Heidi Swap. You can mist these flowers, but I chose just to keep them cream for this one! I added a few leaves and buttons just to cluster the embellishments. 
 I think with Mixed Media it's all about the detail. There are so many little steps that go into everything, most of them you don't even notice, but without it, it would just be plain. the little bit of stamping I did is very faint but it just adds that little extra something. I used a Hero Arts definition stamp in a light blue, almost invisible but you can kinda see it in the photo below. 
 I used a Crafters Workshop Stencil on the silver script using Brushed Pewter distress paint. I also used a dollar stencil and some acrylic paint for some more detail. The 'forever' is a metal piece that I got from Michaels. That little paper clip was the finishing touch. It was the perfect accent!

When you're doing Mixed Media, don't forget to pay attention to the little things because the detail is what finishes it off!


Links to Some Supplies Used:










1 comment:

  1. Tessa! This is unreal!! You have outdone yourself, this one is so lovely...perhaps you could teach a mixed media class?

    ReplyDelete